Imagine the surprise I received on a whim to "Google" my old elementary school in Chicago. Talk about reminiscing my childhood school days. There are several memories I have of walking to William Penn Elementary School at 1616 Avers Avenue, in Chicago. I started kindergarten there and went until the beginning of the first half of fourth grade.
I have a recollection of my first day of school and waiting for one of my brothers to pick me up after my afternoon kindergarten class. No one came so I began to walk home by myself. So I thought when I realized I was lost! I took the wrong street, but they looked alike on the corner where I kept walking. I eventually found a kind lady to walk me back to where I lived. IT was ever after that I was taught and memorized my address and phone number. I remember them both to this day. .. 1544 S Harding, phone number LA 1-2869.
The kindergarten teacher, Mrs Evans gave us a small glass bottle of milk and saltine crackers each day. We colored with crayons, listened to stories, sang songs and played on the outdoor playground. The grades 1-4 were varied teachers since had a new one for each half grade since I would be in the lower have at the second half and the upper grade half at the beginning. So it seemed like I had two teachers in one school year. My birthday was in October, so I started school in January. It was kind of interesting. Being in the lower half of the fourth grade when we left Illinois I finished the fourth grade in a matter of months from April to June. I graduated from High school at seventeen, in California.
Fond Memories of the elementary achool was Nettie L Waite in Norwalk,California.

No comments:
Post a Comment