This was our East Kennewick District. We have been working with this group since last October. The missionaries have come and gone many times. This group has several new ones, with the sisters, and maybe the longest time for the elders being there was less than three months.
Now we are the ones moving on! We start another chapter this coming week and will be doing our mission work in the Hermiston, Oregon ward. There is a small group of Spanish speaking members who attend with the English ward, but have Sunday School, Priesthood and Relief Society in Spanish. We were asked to each start teaching. Ron, will be doing the Gospel Principles class and I, the Relief Society lesson. Instead of going every other week to Hermiston we will be going every week.
The week before last I was asked to teach the R.S. lesson in Spanish during Sunday School. I didn't have time to worry about it either. I just had to DO IT! The president handed me the Lorenzo Snow lesson in English and Spanish. I glanced at it and highlighted the main theme and took it from there. I shared what was highlighted in Spanish and we had a nice discussion. It was so personal to sit with the four of them face to face sitting at a table.
I had to go over some basic principles in presenting the lesson to explain what visiting teaching was, and compassionate service first, and (gratefully) felt an extra amount of help and became acquainted with these fine women in the time we had together. I was amazed at how the time flew by. We will start going to that ward every week now and give the Spanish speaking members the support they need to help them come each week and know someone will be teaching all the classes in Spanish. Their children can attend Primary, Sunday school and the Young Men-Young Women classes in English. That makes it nice since many of them are already fluent in speaking English anyway at school.
We are excited to help and watch the missionaries grow into a Spanish branch. The bishop of the ward is ecstatic to have a senior couple coming to help out with their (bilingual) ward members called to assist with the Spanish group. We are glad to be there too.
No comments:
Post a Comment